Catharine Compston Paintings in Pastel and Oils
My background education in art was at the Alberta College of Art in Calgary, Alberta. I am an exhibiting member of the the St. Albert Painters' Guild and Harcourt House, an Edmonton artist-run Arts collective. The medium of choice for me is soft pastels, which have been in use since the 15th Century, and the pastel colours available have never been more varied or more intense. Painting blends the creative with the technical, and my painting of the moment continually teaches me. The wide Alberta prairie sky has been inspirational in developing my art. My love for pastels has expanding into the use of oil paint; a sister medium to soft pastel.
I am also fascinated with the human form and regularly participate in life drawing sessions and/or painting life studies in oils. Some of my
life drawing and oil paintings can be seen under "Other" in this website.
To contact me about commissions, please go to the Contact page.
FOR THOSE INTERESTED TO LEARN HOW TO PAINT IN PASTEL- I teach Soft Pastel classes at the City Arts Centre, 10943-84 Avenue, Edmonton.
They run for 4- 8 weeks, usually on Wednesday evenings- 6:30-9:30 pm.
Register by calling 311 or register online at http://www.edmonton.ca/activities_parks_recreation/visual-art-adult.aspx
Jan 17-Nov 8- March 7, 2018 Soft Pastels I and II ( 8 weeks)- Register with course number 615996
April 11- May 7, 2018 Soft Pastels I and II ( 4 weeks)- Registration not yet available
Recent Shows and Galleries
December 2017- Harcourt House fundraiser; selected artists works, Jake's Gallery, Edmonton
September 30,2017- Nine Life drawings placed permanently in newly designed room in the Crash Hotel, Design Week Edmonton
September 16, 2017- Riverbend Art in Our Park
May 23- July 4, 2017: Movement and Stillness: The Figure in Oils- solo show, Naess gallery, Paint Spot, Edmonton
June 2017: Harcourt House Members' Show
- April27-29, 2017: St. Albert Painter's Guild spring show
- March-April, 2017: Remedy cafe- 109 Street and 87 Avenue, Edmonton
- January 13-14, 2017: Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival, Edmonton - (Juried Art Gallery/Arts on the Avenue)
- October 22-23. 2016, Art from the Unknown, Old Strathcona, Edmonton
- July 26-August 19, 2016: VASA Gallery, St. Albert, Alberta: Drawing on Life, group show
- July-August, 2016: The Big Big Portrait Show, Naess Gallery, Paint Spot, Edmonton
- June 2016: CKUA Radio building lobby gallery; Pastel landscapes
- April 22-24, 2016: St. Albert Painter's Guild spring show, City Hall , St Albert
- January 9-10, 2016: Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival, Edmonton
- September 11-13, 2015: Kaleido Family Arts Festival, Edmonton
- June 2015: See the Light, SWCA Group Show, ATB Financial building, Edmonton
- March 2- May 4, 2015: Gracious Goods cafe, 7601-115 Street, Edmonton
- February 2015: Cover artist for Artscape newsletter, SWCA
- January 10-11, 2015: Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival, Edmonton
- November 1, 2014 - January 10, 2015: Misericordia In House Gallery- SWCA Group
- August 9, 2014: Art Walk at the Village at Pigeon Lake
- April 2014 : Feature Artist of the month, Society of Western Canadian Artists
- 2013-2016: Representation at Bay 12 Gallery, Pigeon Lake, Alberta
- Harcourt House Members Show- June 20-July 5, 2013.
- June 23- August 26, 2012: McMullen Gallery, University of Alberta Hospital: New Terrain: Landscapes in Pastel by David Shkolny, Judith Martin,
and Catharine Compston. Our show was written up in the Edmonton Journal ("Pastel's true colurs come through in exhibit", by Janice Ryan-July 26,2012)
- June 21-July 3, 2012: The Works Art & Design Festival: - the show at the McMullen Gallery was part of The Works, a city wide fine arts festival in Edmonton. Please see the website www.theworks.ab.ca for more information.
Check back for upcoming events.....I'll post them here.
A note about my web hosting provider: Fat Cow is 100% wind powered; one of the main reasons I chose it.
Please note: Images of my artwork may not be reproduced without my permission.